Main menu

Pages

Brazil explode a new surprise about the Copa America


The Brazilian government exploded a new surprise regarding the decision to establish the Copa America in its country, stressing that the decision has not been decided yet, indicating that it will take the final decision today, Tuesday, after the South American Football Association (CONMEBOL) announced its transfer to Brazil as an alternative to Argentina.


Brazilian Presidential Affairs Minister Luiz Eduardo Ramos said that his government is still negotiating to organize the Copa America in his country, a decision announced by the South American Football Association (CONMEBOL), setting several conditions for approval, such as vaccination of all participating teams.


Ramos said in media statements: "Nothing is certain. I would like to say it very clearly. We are in the middle of the process, but we will not reject a request if we can implement it," during statements to reporters in Brasilia.


The minister revealed that the government of President Jair Bolsonaro will make a "final decision" today, Tuesday, about whether Brazil will host the Copa America, which was expected to be held in Colombia and Argentina.


However, he returned and indicated that the Bolsonaro administration welcomes the organization of the tournament in Brazil, where the pandemic is still out of control and has claimed the lives of nearly half a million people, with an average of 2,000 deaths per day.


Ramos stressed that the Copa America is a "special event", rejecting the criticism caused by CONMEBOL's decision to host Brazil, despite his admission that the situation in his country due to the pandemic is "difficult."


Minister Luiz Eduardo Ramos said, "Nothing has been determined at the moment, I want to clarify it completely. We are in the middle of the procedure, but we will not evade this request if the response is possible."


He explained that the Brazilian government imposed various conditions on the Brazilian Football Confederation to host the tournament, such as the absence of the audience and the inoculation of all delegates.


 The minister added, "If this tournament is held, it will be in the absence of the masses at the present time, there are ten teams in two groups, there will be 65 people in each mission provided that they all receive the vaccine," adding, "Tuesday, we will make our decisive decision."


And Luiz Eduardo Ramos set several conditions for Brazil's approval, including the absence of the public from the stadiums, and the vaccination of all participating teams.


He added, "It is important to emphasize that this event, a case that is being held, will be without an audience. There are a maximum of 10 teams divided into two groups and 65 individuals from each delegation, all of whom are vaccinated."


Ramos did not disclose the cities in which the Copa America matches might take place, noting that this matter "is within the competence of the Brazilian Football Association," which will have to negotiate with the states and provinces.


It is noteworthy that the decision came two days after thousands of Brazilians took to the streets to protest against the government of President Jair Bolsonaro, about its refusal to approve the state of health emergency in the country, which caused a wave of criticism against it from the left and health workers.


Konmebol announced that the Copa America, which was postponed from last year due to the Corona virus pandemic, which was scheduled for Colombia and Argentina, will be held in Brazil between June 13 and July 10.


The announcement came a few hours after Argentina decided to give up hosting the tournament due to the Corona virus, ten days after the withdrawal of its partner Colombia for the same reason and due to popular protests in the country. The transfer of the championship to Brazil was met with several harsh criticism, as it is the second most affected country in the world by the epidemic, with nearly 463,000 deaths, and there is fear of an imminent third wave of the virus.


Brazil, which is one of the countries most affected by the emerging corona virus, recorded 860 new deaths from the epidemic during the last 24 hours, bringing the total victims to 462,791 cases.


According to the Ministry of Health, the Latin giant has also recorded 30,434 cases of Covid-19, bringing the total to 16 million 545 thousand and 434 cases.

reactions

Comments